R2 Certified Recycling
SERI is a non-profit organization established to house the R2 Practices. They conduct educational and outreach services and provide administrative support for the multi-stakeholder R2 Technical Advisory Committee.
SERI reaches out to customers of electronic recyclers, providing them with information about the benefits of partnering with R2-certified recyclers.
SERI plays a significant role educating all audiences regarding responsible electronics recycling practices.
Why choose an R2 Compliant Recycling center?
R2 Practices: Making your IT asset disposal choice easy
According to a recent survey conducted by Converge, IT managers at mid- to large-size companies cite data breach from discarded computers as the number one concern when disposing of IT equipment. Environmental practices, ensuring proper e-waste disposal, and finding asset disposition support for remarketing or reusing equipment were also top priorities listed in this report.
The R2 certified recycling standard addresses all of these areas of concern, so you can be sure that your IT equipment is managed according to the highest industry standards while meeting your organizational goals and needs. Every certified R2 recycler has been rigorously audited by an independent third party auditor that evaluates each recycler in more than 50 areas of operational and environmental performance.
Here are just a few examples of how R2 certified recycling addresses these top corporate concerns that impact decision making when choosing the right IT asset disposal provider:
- All R2 certified recyclers are required to sanitize, purge, or destroy data on all hard drives and data storage devices.
- Data destruction processes are reviewed and validated by an independent party periodically.
- R2 recyclers are required to have a security program in place that is appropriate for the equipment they handle and the customers they serve.
- R2 defines focus materials, or materials that can pose environmental concern, and outlines how these materials should be managed to ensure environmental and worker safety.
- Requires downstream due diligence on all vendors handling focus materials to ensure materials are handled properly throughout the chain of custody.
Proper e-waste disposal
- All R2 certified recycling centers maintain necessary permits, licenses, and insurance as required by state and federal regulations.
- R2 requires that all recyclers send materials to licensed and permitted facilities.
- Rigorous shipping and material tracking systems are employed by all R2 certified recyclers.